EMERGING VEGAN FOOD TREND IN INDIA
Food consumption trends in India:
Online Food delivery business ruled Vegetarian in 2018 , But chicken biryanis the favourite
Indians stuck to local dishes more than global cuisines , In 2018 year saw an almost 20-percentage point jump in vegetarian-food orders on the online platform. i.e. From 43% to 62%.
At the same time whopping 600 % increase in biryani orders in 2018! Every year in a row, India continues its love affair with Chicken Biryani. The delectable-dish remains the most ordered food item all-round the year, as well as a favorite during festivals, lunches, dinners and even during snack time. This is closely followed by Chicken Fried Rice.
In a country with a growing obesity crisis5% of Indian adults are expected to be over wieght by 2025fried food dominated the most popular snacks ordered
But Indians were just eating heavy food. 2018 year saw an increase in individuals ordering planned, healthy, and single-serve meals,which often came with eco-friendly packaging options, Swiggy said. Bengaluru, Hyderabad, and Chennai were the cities that ordered the healthiest food overall.
Food diet trends :
- Atkins diet-Control the insulin level in the body
- The Zone diet-40% carbohydrate,30% fats,30% protein meals
- Ketogenic diet-treatment for epilepsy
- Vegetarian diet-lower body weight, less diseases, longer life
- Vegan diet-doesn’t contain meat,egg,dairy and honey to environmental,ethical and compassionate reasons
- Weight Watchers diet- Each food contains points. high nutrient foods low in points, sweets high in points ,Total number of points to aim for each day
- South Beach diet-to control of insulin levels
- Raw food diet-raw fruits and raw vegetables
- Mediterranean diet- to better health and longevity
- DASH Diet- designed to help people lower their high blood pressure
- Mind diet-to protect the mind and prevent Alzheimer disease
- TLC diet- designed to cut down cholesterol
- Volumetrics-low energy density foods have fewer calories for more food
Vegan food diet emerging trend in India
From a variety of plant-based dairy products to vegan meat alternatives
1.Tofu: Tofu is a great substitute for meats including pork, chicken, beef, and seafood in recipes. It made from soybeans and is high in protein and calcium.
2.Tempeh: is firmer than tofu and has a more grainy texture. It is made from fermented soybeans and has a nutty flavor. Its packed with protein as well as fiber, calcium, and vitamins. One of the advantages to cooking with tempeh is that you dont have to press it. Just slice it, dice it, or grind it up in a food processor.
3.Seitan: If gluten is not an issue for you, turn to seitan for the most meat-like texture. Seitan is processed wheat gluten and it is a great source of protein. Depending on how you flavor it, seitan can be similar to chicken, beef, or pork.
4.Textured Vegetable Protein: TVP or texturized vegetable protein is an inexpensive, easy to use ingredient. It dehydrated soy, and once you rehydrate it, you can do just about anything with it.
5.Gluten-Free, Vegan Meat: V-Chicken, V-Turkey, and V-Sausage. The recipe uses several different flours and proteins to make a vegan meat that has a texture similar to seitan and can be flavored multiple ways for versatility. It can be sliced, rolled, made into cutlets, chunks or links and can be used in lots of recipes.
6.Jackfruit: green jackfruit that used as a meat substitute because of the way its texture mimics that of pulled pork. Vegetarians seek out meat alternatives primarily for protein. That why veggie burgers, say, are based on beans and nuts. That why we revere tofu, build recipes around tempeh, investigate seitan. NOTE: CHICKEN BIRYANI WITH GREEN JACK FRUIT
If you want the jackfruit to be chewier, just roast it on a baking sheet for 15 minutes. Other than a slight sweet taste, almost like pineapple, the jackfruit is pretty much a blank canvas, so you can use whatever spice and flavor panels you like best Indian, Mexican, Chinese, etc. It can be used to make pulled or BBQ jackfruit.
7.Mushrooms: When you want that savory, meaty taste, that umami, mushrooms are the way to go. Their flavor is rich, earthy, and meaty, especially cremini or Portobello mushrooms. They are healthy and filling and can replace meat in any recipe.
8.Lentils: Lentils have always been a stand-in for meat since the beginning of veganism. Lentils are hearty and can replace ground beef easily. Lentils come in a variety of colors such as green, red, brown, and black. They cook up quickly, are inexpensive, and a small amount goes a long way.
9.Beans and Legumes: Beans and legumes are inexpensive, healthy, filling, and there are so many to choose from: black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, aduki beans, navy beans, chickpeas, split peas, peanuts and black-eyed peas, to name just a few. Beans make hearty soups, stews, and chilis that will taste meaty without the meat.
Range of products in India that will help you go vegan, 8 Start-Ups Revolutionising the Way We Eat
- Goodmylk plant-based milk
- SAIN is a Delhi-based vegan startup started almond milk
- Good Dot Probably the only startup in India that specialises in plant-based meat, , they offer two productsvegan mutton and a soy-like variant that is unlike the soy chunks you might have tasted
- The Happy Calf ,Their products are priced nominally and range from coconut and almond-based to peanut-based curd and cheese made out of almonds!
- Cowvathi Known for its different varieties of vegan cheese and dips in handpicked flavours for those looking for cruelty-free dairy alternatives.
- Chetran Foods has an array of tofu and soymilk-based food products that have been specifically tweaked to suit the Indian palette and cuisine.
- Vegan Bites is a Mumbai-based tiffin service started by Samir Prasad. With a client base of over 300 (reportedly), the service gives one the opportunity to choose wholesome and fresh plant-based meals from a variety of cuisines including Lebanese, South Indian, Thai, Italian, and Indian and also offers vegan ice creams, cakes, and desserts.
- Wegan Foods offers vegan cheese that uses nutritional yeast (nooch) unlike other vegan dairy products and is an excellent source of vegan plant protein, Vitamin B complex, dietary fibre, selenium, zinc and yeast glucan. Their products are all dairy free, nut free, soy free and gluten free
Conclusion : People demand increasing day by day for meat alternatives and proportionally new mouth watering recipes for veggies , hotel/restaurants enjoy exclusive market if they accept changes against food consumption trends , Ready to redesign menu ,who can enhance kitchen capability.